Skip to main content

Sauce: In which I make a mortal enemy.

I had nice encounter yesterday.  I was at the grocery store, ready to sell my soul and make my escape, when it happened.  I was peering down the aisles, checking out the check-out clerks, looking for one who wasn’t:
  1. A teenage guy.  
  2. An ex-tattoo artist/failed rapper with a bitter heart. 
  3. That girl who commented on my ice cream preferences in a negative way seven months ago.  

I was hoping to find a kind, comfortable middle-aged woman, or maybe that cute guy who was there last week and who I maybe just thought was cute because I liked his name (his name was NOT Elmo, in case that thought would ever cross your mind).  
ANYWAAAY. 
After six aisles failed to meet my criteria, I came to the last aisle, which was manned by a youngish woman.  She looked normal, so I stepped into her lane and set my groceries down.  As I did so, I glanced towards her to see more clearly who I was up against, and our eyes locked for a fatal second:




Then, she hastily removed her finger from the deeper recesses of her left nostril and wiped it discretely on her shirt.  I felt something I ate that morning take a u-turn and start traveling the wrong way up a one-way street.  But it was too late.  Basket on the belt, I was committed.  Not to mention, she knew that I knew.  I wasn’t going to be a wuss.  Swallowing hard, I pretended she wasn’t touching all, all of my week’s food, and started writing out a check.  
(Let me explain quickly that I prefer checks and cash to credit cards, simply because if I had a credit card I’m sure I would use it indiscriminately and maniacally.  Also I hate receipts.  Not to mention, in ten or fifteen years I’m sure they’ll put me in a museum somewhere with the label “The Last Checkwriter.”  Which would be, like, rad and groovy.  Dude.)

I was placidly filling in the amount when a finger descended from above and landed squarely on my check.




I thought, oh lovely, she’s holding it so it won’t move as I write.  Though that seemed hardly necessary and I had a...let’s say a suspicion...that it was the finger she used for, you know...other things.  I shifted my hand awkwardly and kept writing, only to be interrupted once again by a single word.  
“No.” She said.  
I finally looked up, into her eyes.  In them, I saw hatred.  I was privy to her secret...I had seen the darkness of her innermost being (not to mention her nose)...and could not be allowed to leave alive.  
“You don’t have to fill out your check,” she said, whisking it away from my numbed grip.  
“We don’t send checks to the bank anymore, so all our machine does is read the bottom of the check.  That’s why we give it back to you.  All you have to do is sign the keypad.”
“Reasonable, reasonable,” I said, “good to know, it all makes sense now, you have solved for me the mysteries of the universe and I am a better person for it.  Lady, I am in your debt.”
She continued.
“You shouldn’t pay with checks.  Almost nobody even takes checks.”  Then, triumphantly, “I have a card.”  Why don’t YOU have a card, you blinking IDIOT, you who think you’re better than me because YOU only pick your nose behind locked doors and actually know how to form numerals with a primitive writing utensil!  
I beat a hasty retreat, feeling as if I’d lost an important battle before I’d even known it was taking place.  





Of course, I was unprepared.  Next time, I’ll know my enemy.  After all, my meals this week will contain trace bits of her genome, which is the very essence of her being.  Next time, I will be prepared.  I will be armed, and I will conquer. 




I will bring cash and use the self-check.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Weirdness!

Hi, world, and welcome to “The Password’s Lasagna”!  One day I’ll share where that name came from - for now, just revel in the wonderful idioticity of the word “Lasagna”.  Say it over and over again.  Let it flip off your tongue in all its gleeful lasagnaness.  Say it until it means nothing, say it ‘til it means everything.  Lasagna.  It’s a word with many layers.  Moving on quickly now... I have to wonder if, in a year, I will regret this first post.  I’ll think “what kind of imbecilic idiot was I, to think starting a blog would be a good idea?”  As if there aren’t more constructive things to do.  Like...fishing.  Or hunter-gathering (which is the sport of gathering as many hunters as possible in one weekend and stuffing them all in the back of a closed pickup, preferably with a limb or so hanging out and dripping blood).  Or making clay...things.  Useful things.  Mugs and the like.  Or I could be chilling with friends...engaging in meaningful conversations over cups of coffee.

Noodles: Just, noodles.

I realized on Thursday that I have no idea who I am.  It was very disconcerting, particularly as it happened moments after I’d stood up suddenly, not realizing there was a heavy plank shelf directly over my head.  It was also after two or three hours of inhaling the stale remnants of ten years of uninhibited mouse parties, and an entire bottle of environmentally caring cleaning fluid.  Anyway, this isn’t exactly humorous (unless you get a kick out of existential crises), but it made me wonder if anyone else feels the same way.  So, readers, tell me this - do you feel as if you know who you are?  Or are you just pretending to know?  Or are you, at this moment, simultaneously reading this on your phone and telling a complete stranger all the ways that you feel isolated from the rest of the human race?  Let me know.  “I” am interested in your answer.   PS Anticipating zero comments, because the majority of my readership is too intellectual to stoop to the paltry pract

Noodles: It’s autumn, all of you.

Hi world.  It’s me, your favorite super sheltered, extremely Scandinavian, strangely endearing pile of soggy, tomato-drenched crinkly noodles! Otherwise known as Baby Swedish Lasagna under an Inadequate Tent. The reason I bring up my origins is this: I grew up without hearing anyone say “y’all”.  I believe the contraction never crossed my path outside of a book until middle school, when it became trendy among my equally sheltered, pale-skinned friends. I started saying it often, with little understanding of its pronunciation, spelling, or proper usage. At some point, perhaps in a fit of cultural sensitivity, maybe after the madness of middle school had seeped out of my neurons, I stopped using it. Except in emails. Yes, my friends, I am an email y’aller.  It just works for the already-awkward group conversations.  There’s honestly no equivalent in northern dialect.  Check it out. “You guys.”  Offensive to feminists. “You girls.”  Offensive to mature women. “You ladies.”