Skip to main content

Noodles: Let yer hair down!

I like to run.  Sorry.  If you don’t, that’s cool.  You smell better than I do.
Personally, I use running as a way to de-stress, to put life on hold, to think things through...sometimes to not think about things or do things that I should be thinking about and doing.  It’s a great way to procrastinate.  
“Have you done those ten super important things that you need to do to survive and/or maintain crucial relationships?”
“No, but I went running and I thought about avocados and dinosaurs and my next blog post!!!”
It’s also one of the only times I feel comfortable in my own body.  I feel free, and I don’t give a bleep what anyone thinks of me.  Everybody has a way of achieving this state of carelessness.  Some people do drugs or play video games for 73 hours straight or travel or buy new outfits or lift weights or eat only puréed kale granola goo packets — I run.

None of that was funny.  But I feel it’s important for you to have a bit of background for the following story.  When I first wrote it, it just began “When I run....”.  And it still does, but at least now you know I’m not running because I really need to pee, or because I’m being chased down by low-flying aliens with tasers.  I’m just running because I’m an idiot and it’s what I do.  Moving on.    

When I run with my hair down, especially on days like today where I’m simultaneously running on pure ice, leaping over huge piles of slush, and covering, oh, at least ten miles in fifteen minutes, I feel like a warrior princess.  My hair floats behind me, three feet long, catching the sunlight, my eyes sparkle and fizz, and I can feel pedestrians and drivers alike staring after me in awe, all thinking the same thing:  “who is that girl, she is so cool, her hair is so beautiful, wow, I wish I could run that fast and have my hair stream behind me like that.”  Even old bald dudes think this.  I feel totally bold, amazing, daring, alive, spectacular, sensational......
It’s the coolest ever, how I feel.  
In actuality, I probably look just a little less glamorous.  
You’ve all seen the Lord of the Rings movies, right?  If you haven’t, why are you on my blog?  Off!  Off!  Go watch them and come back.  Unless you haven’t read the books.  Go read the books and then watch the movies and then come back.  It won’t take that long if you quit your job and all major responsibilities and most minor ones like showering (it’s okay, you can eat and poop while you’re reading thank goodness, and that’s all that really matters) (NOT AT THE SAME TIME THOUGH PLEASE).  
‘Kay.  Now that we’re all on the same page — you know when the orcs grab Merry and Pippin and spend like a week running home to Isengard?  You know how they have these great flapping long dreadlocks and how the ground shakes beneath their giant trampling feet?  You know how they sound like wild pigs and you can almost smell them through the TV screen?  
That’s exackly how I look.


DISCLAIMER:  I have an all-or-nothing mentality.  If you saw me running down the street, here’s what you’d actually see:  Red ears and tangly hair and my nose visibly running and my underwear making lines on my butt under my tights (I had to add the part about the tights after fifty re-reads because I don’t want you thinking I wear only underwear when I run, or, like, ever).  Probably I look like a slightly mentally unhinged youth.  Probably I look like I’m being chased by aliens and like I need to pee.  Probably I look like I’m thinking about dinosaurs and avocados and this blog post.  Probably true.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Weirdness!

Hi, world, and welcome to “The Password’s Lasagna”!  One day I’ll share where that name came from - for now, just revel in the wonderful idioticity of the word “Lasagna”.  Say it over and over again.  Let it flip off your tongue in all its gleeful lasagnaness.  Say it until it means nothing, say it ‘til it means everything.  Lasagna.  It’s a word with many layers.  Moving on quickly now... I have to wonder if, in a year, I will regret this first post.  I’ll think “what kind of imbecilic idiot was I, to think starting a blog would be a good idea?”  As if there aren’t more constructive things to do.  Like...fishing.  Or hunter-gathering (which is the sport of gathering as many hunters as possible in one weekend and stuffing them all in the back of a closed pickup, preferably with a limb or so hanging out and dripping blood).  Or making clay...things.  Useful things.  Mugs and the like.  Or I could be chilling with friends...engaging in meaningful conversations over cups of coffee.

Noodles: Just, noodles.

I realized on Thursday that I have no idea who I am.  It was very disconcerting, particularly as it happened moments after I’d stood up suddenly, not realizing there was a heavy plank shelf directly over my head.  It was also after two or three hours of inhaling the stale remnants of ten years of uninhibited mouse parties, and an entire bottle of environmentally caring cleaning fluid.  Anyway, this isn’t exactly humorous (unless you get a kick out of existential crises), but it made me wonder if anyone else feels the same way.  So, readers, tell me this - do you feel as if you know who you are?  Or are you just pretending to know?  Or are you, at this moment, simultaneously reading this on your phone and telling a complete stranger all the ways that you feel isolated from the rest of the human race?  Let me know.  “I” am interested in your answer.   PS Anticipating zero comments, because the majority of my readership is too intellectual to stoop to the paltry pract

Noodles: It’s autumn, all of you.

Hi world.  It’s me, your favorite super sheltered, extremely Scandinavian, strangely endearing pile of soggy, tomato-drenched crinkly noodles! Otherwise known as Baby Swedish Lasagna under an Inadequate Tent. The reason I bring up my origins is this: I grew up without hearing anyone say “y’all”.  I believe the contraction never crossed my path outside of a book until middle school, when it became trendy among my equally sheltered, pale-skinned friends. I started saying it often, with little understanding of its pronunciation, spelling, or proper usage. At some point, perhaps in a fit of cultural sensitivity, maybe after the madness of middle school had seeped out of my neurons, I stopped using it. Except in emails. Yes, my friends, I am an email y’aller.  It just works for the already-awkward group conversations.  There’s honestly no equivalent in northern dialect.  Check it out. “You guys.”  Offensive to feminists. “You girls.”  Offensive to mature women. “You ladies.”