Skip to main content

Noodles: While writing this post, I realized that I really appreciate the word “shriveled”. It serves its purpose so, so well.

That said, let’s talk about roasted vegetables.  The top 3,000+ Google search items for “lasagna” are recipe blogs (versus MY blog, ahem ahem), so I might as well delve into the wonderful world of cooking for a quick second.  Oneee Mississippppp....done.  
Anyway, there’s a movement going around (specifically, on all those recipe blogs you’re probably reading instead of this one).  It’s called “Everything tastes better if you cover it with salt and oil and roast it at 500 degrees for fifteen minutes, stirring halfway through the cooking time!”  The “ETBYCWSOR5DFMSHTCT” movement, for shortness and ease.  
I am here today to take issue with this movement.  In short, it is not true. 
Admittedly, potatoes and sweet potatoes, being the classy, upscale vegetables they are, excel under this type of treatment.  Other things do too.  I assume.  I wouldn’t know because every non-root vegetable I’ve ever roasted has either 1) been burned to a crisp (because, 500 degrees is about as hot as the surface of the sun, by gum), or, 2) shriveled into nothingness.  Did you know that roasting alone can turn three cups of broccoli into 1/8 teaspoon of broccoli?  It’s true. 
Root vegetables, on the other hand, retain their mass and take at least four times longer to cook than the recipes advise.  I would mind this more, except it guarantees they won’t incinerate while my back is turned.  Feeling confident in my root vegetable roasting abilities (RVRA’s), I roasted some beets last week.  They behaved well in the oven, barely screamed at all, unlike carrots, which shout obscenities the whole time they’re cooking.  
Unfortunately, when the beets came out of the oven, roasty, toasty, crinkly-edged and beaming, they were still beets.  The food bloggers will have you believe that roasting turns all vegetables into French fries (turnip fries, anyone?).  Just cut it in long strips, salt it, and stick it in the oven, then serve it to your ecstatically thankful children with homemade organically grown ketchup, for optional dipping.  
Friends.  
Beets, when roasted, do not taste like French fries.  They taste like beets.  Except more so.  
I consider this to be a public service announcement.  You have been warned

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Noodles: Just another downside of being a genius.

Since I’ve got a pretty long post in store for you a little later this week (and yeah, it’s Saturday, I know...so that means in about five minutes), I’m gonna make this quick and just share with you one of my finer moments.  Possibly the most brilliant highlight of my entire career as a human, if I may say so.   Recently I was trying to center a picture on what was supposed to be today’s post.  Suddenly, my cursor...is that what the little vertical blinky line is called?  If it is, wow, what an intense name for such an innocent little thingy.  Anyway, you all know what I mean.  We’ll just call it the cursor and hope for the best.  Kay.  So, my cursor started moving.  It was traveling across the page all alone!  It had a mind of its own!  Because I’m super suspicious, my first thought was that someone had hacked my computer, since I was in a pretty crowded public place.  There were some nerdy guys in the corner who looked cap...

Spinach: Zombie Sheep (part 1).

There are people in this world who don’t quite fit into society.               If people were puzzle pieces, they would be the unidentified extras, the empty gaps,                     the soggy chewed up pieces that fall off the table and get noshed on by the dog.    T hey live their lives feeling unnecessary, lost, destroyed.  In a world that celebrates conformity, if not uniformity, allowances are made for puzzle pieces to be different shapes, colors, and sizes. But if they don’t fit together, they’re either pounded on until they do, or thrown away.   Rejected.   Not because they’re of less worth than any other piece.  All puzzle pieces are simply shaped bits of cardboard, after all.  But because their purpose is not immediately visible.   Okay, that said, I’m not a fan of misfits, myself included.  They’re ...

Sauce: Bike.

I called about a bike the other day.   It was listed in the paper, For Sale, Used Bike, $45, In a Town Near You.   I assumed, based on the word “bike” that it had a seat and handlebars, which was all that really mattered to me.  The integrity of the brakes was negotiable.  I figured I could fix them if I had to, because had I just changed a tail-light in my car and it took only three weeks and two hours and five sets of wrenches of varying sizes, and I’m pretty sure it’s practically back to how it was before I began.   “Hello,” a woman answered the phone. “Hi, I’m calling about the bike you listed in the paper?” “Ok.” “Can I ask you a few questions about it?” “Ok.” “Oh...okay.  Great!  First, is it still available?” “Which one.” “There was only...one?  The used bike?” “Ok.” “So is it available?” “It can be.” “Great...So....do the brakes work?” “It’s used.” “I gathered as much from the ad.  What kin...