Skip to main content

Noodles: Da da da daaaa, da da daaaa...da da da daaaa, da da da, da.....deer?

So this is, roughly, what I was going to post today:  

“I wish the Indiana Jones theme music would play every time I’m in an epic and life-threatening situation. ‘Wait!’ you say, ‘wouldn’t that drive you stark raving mad?’  ‘No!’, I say.  ‘I love that song!’  And I only do awesomely epic, life-threatening things two or three times a year, so I’d never really have the chance to get tired of it.  If you ate ice cream only two or three times a year, would it repulse you?  Exactly.”

That’s what I had written and ready to go.  But I don’t think I’m going to post it, after all, because it’s not true anymore.  
See, I was just out on one of your typical charming, mundane, small-town evening strolls, and had a little run in with a deer.  
Actually, it was more of an attack.  
Actually, fine, so the deer chased me for half a block and actually forded a stream and jumped a fence in its frenzied attempts to catch me.  I can only assume its intention was to trample me under its hooves.  Maybe its a vengeful offspring of Pan and it knows that the only pan I bow to is the one that cooks my French toast.*  Whatever the reason, it would have only been an added insult if that song had been playing while I was heroically defending life, limb, and small-town America from a deranged mutant killer in the guise of a common deer (cough aka running very quickly and shouting “you stay away” and seeking safety in a playground full of young children cough cough).  

Actually, I might not post any of this because do I really want to share my humiliation with the three people who will read about it?


And..........I’m also kind of too scared to walk to the library.**


*after exhaustive research, I find that Pan was more closely related to goats than deer.  However, I enjoy my own puns too much to edit that sentence.  
** I am now at the library, basking in a false sense of security before the long, treacherous journey home.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Weirdness!

Hi, world, and welcome to “The Password’s Lasagna”!  One day I’ll share where that name came from - for now, just revel in the wonderful idioticity of the word “Lasagna”.  Say it over and over again.  Let it flip off your tongue in all its gleeful lasagnaness.  Say it until it means nothing, say it ‘til it means everything.  Lasagna.  It’s a word with many layers.  Moving on quickly now... I have to wonder if, in a year, I will regret this first post.  I’ll think “what kind of imbecilic idiot was I, to think starting a blog would be a good idea?”  As if there aren’t more constructive things to do.  Like...fishing.  Or hunter-gathering (which is the sport of gathering as many hunters as possible in one weekend and stuffing them all in the back of a closed pickup, preferably with a limb or so hanging out and dripping blood).  Or making clay...things.  Useful things.  Mugs and the like.  Or I could be chilling with friends...engaging in meaningful conversations over cups of coffee.

Noodles: Just, noodles.

I realized on Thursday that I have no idea who I am.  It was very disconcerting, particularly as it happened moments after I’d stood up suddenly, not realizing there was a heavy plank shelf directly over my head.  It was also after two or three hours of inhaling the stale remnants of ten years of uninhibited mouse parties, and an entire bottle of environmentally caring cleaning fluid.  Anyway, this isn’t exactly humorous (unless you get a kick out of existential crises), but it made me wonder if anyone else feels the same way.  So, readers, tell me this - do you feel as if you know who you are?  Or are you just pretending to know?  Or are you, at this moment, simultaneously reading this on your phone and telling a complete stranger all the ways that you feel isolated from the rest of the human race?  Let me know.  “I” am interested in your answer.   PS Anticipating zero comments, because the majority of my readership is too intellectual to stoop to the paltry pract

Noodles: It’s autumn, all of you.

Hi world.  It’s me, your favorite super sheltered, extremely Scandinavian, strangely endearing pile of soggy, tomato-drenched crinkly noodles! Otherwise known as Baby Swedish Lasagna under an Inadequate Tent. The reason I bring up my origins is this: I grew up without hearing anyone say “y’all”.  I believe the contraction never crossed my path outside of a book until middle school, when it became trendy among my equally sheltered, pale-skinned friends. I started saying it often, with little understanding of its pronunciation, spelling, or proper usage. At some point, perhaps in a fit of cultural sensitivity, maybe after the madness of middle school had seeped out of my neurons, I stopped using it. Except in emails. Yes, my friends, I am an email y’aller.  It just works for the already-awkward group conversations.  There’s honestly no equivalent in northern dialect.  Check it out. “You guys.”  Offensive to feminists. “You girls.”  Offensive to mature women. “You ladies.”